Friday, July 24, 2009

Mapleton & Fiesta Days Parade

On the 24th of July, Pioneer Day, my drill team performed in two parades--one in Mapleton and one in Spanish Fork. Both communities have celebrations on the 24th and Maple Mountain has students from both communities, so we decided to support both parades.

We first started in Mapleton. We were near the beginning of their parade. It was a fun, kinda low key parade. The girls didn't get too tired and it wasn't too hot yet. Then we went straight over to Spanish Fork and were 2nd to last in that parade. So, it all worked out and we were able to do both parades.

Here are a few pictures from the Mapleton parade. I was on the trailer with them, so I had the side view.



They are performing on the back of a flat bed diesel trailer. At Payson, I had always had my teams "march" down the street and stop every so often and dance. We also did arm movements and ripples as we marched.
I had tried the dancing on the back of the truck my very first year at Payson and everyone in the community complained and made comments as to "why didn't the drill team march in the parade?" Being the young, no backbone new teacher that I was then, I decided to go with tradition and we would march in the parades from then on. The girls also wanted to march as well.
So, at Maple Mountain, I have a lot of girls that had been on drill at Spanish Fork and their tradition was to dance on the back of a flatbed trailer. So, I decided to try that way again. Kinda nice when there is not precedence to follow!
It worked out really well--in fact, I loved it. It was nice to keep moving and not hold up the parade. The girls choreographed the routine so that it didn't move around a lot, didn't go down on the ground, and we only did a single pirouette. They did do a kickline--which looked good. This picture doesn't do it justice--I need a better camera to get action shots!
Some pictures from the Spanish Fork parade. Scott got off the truck to video for me and to take pictures. He is great to help me out so much!
The team has maroon Converse shoes with gold metallic laces.

Here they are at the end of the SF parade:

They survived their first two parades in a row! Our administration was at the end of each parade handing out water, powerade, and ice cream bars. It was great!

I also have to give a big thanks to Sunroc--they let us use one of their trucks and trailors. I'm very grateful for that. Also to my assistant Marci Hite's mom, Kathy Williams, she designed the nice banners that we had made for the parades. Hanks Signs in Payson printed them. Thanks everyone! It was a great first parades experience.

No comments: