Sunday, July 11, 2010

Go For It Camp

Summer Drill Team is in full swing! We attended our first camp on June 24 - 26, 2010 at East High School. This camp is optional, but 19 of my 23 girls opted to attend the camp. I was glad that so many of them decided to attend this camp because it is more individualized and it really helps each dancer with their technique and they get to learn choreography from teachers outside the state of Utah.

These pictures are in a random order, so I will explain each one.

The team with Ricky Hinds - he is a dancer/choreographer from New York City. He gave the team their participation certificate and we also won the Sportsmanship award for the 2nd year in a row!

On the last day of camp, they have the "Go For It Dancer" finals. Girls perform "across the floor" combinations until they are eliminated. Then they teach the top dancers a combination. This is the top six, five of which are Maple Mountain girls!
The Top 3 Go For It Dancers - Savannah Martin & Krizia Brooks from MMHS and a girl from West Jordan Dance Company.
Swollen ankles! What I get for sitting in a hot gym all day!
Girl talk at the pool at the hotel.
Pizza Party in my room.
Waiting for our dinner at Cheesecake Factory - I guess Alli can't wait and is going for the pepper!
More of the team at dinner.
Girls in the hip hop routine.
Team picture outside at East High.
There always has to be a crazy pose!
The team had a great time at Go For It and we did awesome! One of my girls also won the drill down they had on the last day. She was also one of the top 3 dancers so she got two Go For It hoodies!
Scott had the fine opportunity to come along with me on this camp. I needed his help with driving one of the suburbans. My assistant Marci couldn't come, so Scott was the next in line to help me out. I think he had an okay time. Except for his sickness episode. It wasn't pretty--in the suburban in front of the girls he was transporting. We learned to carry "barf bags" from now on!
Thanks to my team for being so great and to Scott for giving up his off time to help us out!

No comments: