Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Girls San Francisco Trip 2010

On May 21, 2010, my mom took me and my sisters and sister-in-law on a trip to San Francisco. We went to sight see and to also see "Wicked".


I was so excited! I had been to San Francisco before--Scott and I went in 2008 for our anniversary trip. It would also be the 4th time for me to see Wicked and in a different city. I saw it the first time in New York, 2nd time in Los Angeles, 3rd time in Salt Lake City, and now the 4th time in San Francisco. I love it!

We left that Friday morning, my mom and Annie picked me up around 8:30 a.m. and we headed to meet Paula just off of the Highland/Alpine exit. Well, she was running a little late, she had forgotten her cell phone charger and had to turn around to go get it. So, we were running a little bit late, but would probably be okay.


We all were talking and we missed the 215 exit! Oh well, we will just take the airport exit off of I-15. Well, all of a sudden traffic is coming to a stop--there must be an accident or something. We turn up the radio to see if KSL has any traffic info. Yes, there is an accident and life flight is going to be landing on I-15, so traffic is not moving! It was now getting close to 10 a.m. and our flight leaves at 11, (I think, can't remember exactly!) Well, we are creeping along, but there is no way we are going to make our flight. Amy, Emilee, and Eli are already at the airport. Annie is getting nervous being the driver, so Paula takes over at the wheel. We see a side road off of the freeway and we pass it. We all say, we should have turned and went on that road--well, Paula throws the car into reverse and we back up down the freeway and take the road!

We end up on some street and we are heading down to Redwood Road--we used the GPS that is in my mom's car and we figured out how to get to the airport. What an adventure the trip was turning out to be already!


Well, we ended up just making it to the airport in time for our flight. Paula and I ran to buy a bagel. I had to eat something or I was going to get sick. You know, the joys of pregnancy! Annie and I had planned on getting a Cinnabun at the airport--but there was not time for that!


We barely got our bagels and a drink and ran down to the gate just in time to board! It was a short flight and we made it to San Fran! My mom didn't think it was going to happen after all the excitement on the freeway that morning! She said, "I just couldn't picture us in San Francisco!" Well, here we are--some pictures of us and the sights we saw in San Fran!


After checking into our hotel, we wanted to get something to eat before we started sight seeing. So, there was a mall nearby with some restaurants in it, so we went there. After eating, we decided to take a cable car down to the wharf and look around down there.


This is one of the street performers that we watched for a minute. They were dancing and came right over to Amy and did this little trick with his tooth--kinda gross, kinda funny. They were dancing to the song, "OMG" by Usher. Now every time I hear that song, I remember this dancer:
Here is one of the cable cars coming down while we are waiting in line to get on. There were also some guys singing while we waited.
Paula and I posing with the cable car.
Me, getting off the cable car. Not the best shot of me!

We headed down to Fisherman's Wharf. Here we walked around and enjoyed all of the sights.
Emilee, posing with a "pirate" outside of a shop in Fisherman's Wharf.

We walked down the wharf and went to see the seals that "camp out" there. It was a little bit smelly! Here is a picture of some of them:


Alcatraz

Me with the Fisherman Wharf sign in the background.

Another shot of Alcatraz.



Viewing the water--it was cold and windy--go figure!




The girls, minus me, at Fisherman's Wharf.



Taking a break at Ghirardeli Square.
All of us, minus Paula at Ghirardeli Square.

So, we had dinner reservations at this restaurant called "Da Flora". Paula and Casey discovered it when they were in San Francisco and they recommended it to Scott and I, so we ate there when we came to San Fran. So, we all decided to eat there again. It is an Italian restaurant and you have to have reservations and go at your time. Well, we had some time to kill, so we decided to walk up to Lombard Street and see it.

Here we are on our hike up the hill.

It was a very steep hill and we almost turned around and gave up, but we decided we could do it if we just took it slow. So, we did, and we made it! And yes, we all felt it the next day!

The view at the top of Lombard Street.

Another view from the top.


Lombard Street


Making our way down the street.

Then, after walking a few more blocks, we made it to Da Flora. Here it is:
All of us at dinner.

Dinner was yummy, especially the bread. We all were thinking we had to walk all the way back to our hotel, but we were in luck and there was a cable car stop just a few blocks away. So, we caught a cable car back down to Union Square, which was the area where our hotel was located.

We had just at got into a nice, deep sleep, when all of a sudden an alarm is going off. I didn't know what was going on? Then a voice comes on over the hotel loud speaker, which I never knew hotels had, that tells us that we all need to evacuate. It was the fire alarm going off!

So, I put on a jacket and shoes and we all headed down the stairs and ended up outside. What a site--all of the hotel tenants standing outside. Well, then they tell us we can come inside the lobby. One of my sisters had their camera and took some pictures of the people in the lobby. It was kinda funny! I had never had that happen while staying at a hotel!
We all got a kick out of this couple--look at the man in his suit coat and pants with no shirt under. We laughed forever about this! It was just funny!

Everyone waiting in the hotel lobby.

One of the firemen that came to save the day!

Well, we finally were allowed to go back up to our rooms. I guess there were some problems in the building next to our hotel, and so that is what set off the alarm? We just all went back up to our rooms and tried to get back to sleep. Of course for me, I had no problem getting back to sleep!

The next day we woke up early and went to breakfast at a diner and then we were going on a city sight seeing trip.
Waiting for the tour bus.

Union Square.

Me, Amy, and Eli on the tour bus.

Emilee, mom, Annie, and Paula on the tour bus.

Our tour guide.

The street we had hiked up the day before!
A view of the city that we saw on our tour.
Another view.
Gateway to China Town.

One of the houses we saw on the tour. I believe this one Charles Manson had lived in? The top part is called the Widow's Peak.
It got a little bit windy as we drove over the Golden Gate Bridge!

View of the city from across the Golden Gate Bridge.
All of us--we survived the wind on the bus trip across the bridge!
Me with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background.
Golden Gate Bridge.
The Painted Ladies.
Painted Ladies with the San Francisco skyline in the background.


After our tour, we grabbed something quick to eat and as we were walking through Macy's we stopped at the make up counters. I don't think anyone took pictures--but we should have. There were some interesting characters working there. But, we had a lot of fun getting our make up touched up! Then we made our way to the theater for Wicked.
The Theater.


Mom, Paula, Annie, Emilee, Eli, me, and Amy.

Wicked was fabulous as always! I love so many of the songs. My favorite scences are the Dancing Through Life scene - the dancing and all of the black and white costumes and the One Fine Day in the Emerald City scene--all of the green costumes and the cool green glasses everyone has on! But of course, I also like the Defying Gravity scene--so powerful! I loved it!

After the show, we walked back up to the Union Square area. We saw some not so lovely sights on our way back--the theater is located near a scary area of town--I wouldn't walk there at night! We were all really hungry and so we decided to go eat.

We went the the Cheesecake Factory--there was of course a long wait, but there was a furniture showroom just out side of the restaurant - (it was located in Macy's on the top floor). We hung out on some couches and I put my feet up. I was experiencing my first episode of my feet swelling!

We had a great dinner including some awesome red velvet cheesecake! Then we did a little souvenier shopping and headed back for the hotel. We had an early morning flight back to Utah.

It was a great trip and we made some memories that we will never forget. I hope we can do something like this every year, even if it is just an overnight trip somewhere in Utah, it is so much fun to get together with my mom and sisters!

Most of the pictures that I posted, I got from my sister Amy--thanks Amy for taking some great pictures!

No comments: