Sunday, December 09, 2012

UVU Invitational Drill Team Competition

Our first drill team competition was here!  On December 8, 2012, we competed in the UVU Invitational Drill Team Competition.  I had not taken a team to this competition for a few years.  I had not ever taken my Maple Mountain team to this competition.  In the past, it was not very organized, it didn't run on time, and it was just not worth it.  Which was sad, because UVU is very close and it is where the state drill team competition is held, but that didn't matter to me, I would rather be at a competition where things are organized.
 
Last year, my team had an issue with the floor boundaries at State Drill.  So, I told myself then, I was definitely taking my team to the UVU competition next year so we could be totally comfortable and confident on that floor!  Also, last year I judged at the UVU competition, so I could see that it was a little bit more organized and they treated the judges and coaches well--that is also a perk to attending a competition!
 
So, our first competition of the season was going to be at UVU and the top state competitor was going to be there . . .Bountiful.  Our region nemesis would also be there . . .Salem Hills.  My main goal for the first competition was to get a critique from the judges on our routines and to expose the new girls on the team to "what competition is all about".  If we placed, that would be great, but I wasn't really sure what to expect.
 
We were also able to have a one hour practice time on the floor the night before which was awesome!  The girls felt so confident after doing that--it was well worth the fee we had to pay!
 
Well, the competition went well and I was so proud!  We ended up placing 1st in Hip Hop, 2nd in Military, 2nd in Kick, and 3rd in Dance.  We also won a speciality award from the UVU Dance Team for "Best Hair".  I was so happy with how we did!  Bountiful was, of course, amazing.  We hope to keep getting better and better so we can beat them! :)
 The team with the trophies!
 Crazy pose!
Brandi Gessel, who is a first year sophomore member of the team, placed in the drill down!
 
I was very glad that we went to the UVU competition.  My only complaint, is their chintzy trophies!  They are so small and they just say UVU Invitational and the place.  It doesn't list the category or the year?  I love the competitions that go all out on the trophies!  Oh well, you can have it all, right?

No comments: