Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fiesta Days

Spanish Fork's annual celebration in the summer is Fiesta Days.  It is always around July 24th, Pioneer Day.  This year we went to a few events.  The first thing we attended was the flag retirement.  Annie's husband, Jim, was helping because his National Guard unit was there helping. 
 
When we got there, I received a text from one of my old drill girls, Kaitlynn Blood.  She said she liked my shirt--I had on a bright fluorescent orange and white striped top.  Anyway, I asked where she was sitting, and we went and sat by her.  Annie and her boys came and joined us.  We thought we had a great seat, but Annie warned us that it may get hot when they light the fire. 
 
She was right, it was very hot!  But it was a very patriotic event and I'm glad we attended.  Here are a few pics from the event:
 Boy Scouts would bring the flags to the National Guard.
 The National Guard would then turn around.
 Then throw the flags into the fire.
 They let off some big cannons --I'm not sure what they are called, but Kendrick plugged his ears because it was so loud!
 
On July 24th, my drill team performed in both the Mapleton parade and the Spanish Fork parade.  It was a hot day and the girls looked great performing their routine.  Here are a few pictures that Scott took for me while they were performing.
 The routine included some kicks --of course!
 Me and my new assistant, Camille Montague.  I had Jason Gibson come and do the music--such a relief.  Last year I had music equipment issues, so I'm always glad when he is available to come run the sound!
 Shalee -- she is the President of the team this year.
 The team.
 Cute close up shot of some of the team.  Laney Melton made their cute headbands! 
The team performing on the semi truck.
 
We did go down later that day and walk around the booths at the park and around the carnival.  We saw some people we knew from Provo and talked to them a bit.  Then later we went and found a place to watch the fireworks.  Kendrick had a good ol' time playing with everyone around us.  He is not afraid to go up to people he doesn't know!  Especially if they have a dog--which one guy did.
 
Maybe next year we will try out the rodeo.  We'll see if Kendrick can handle it!  HA HA

No comments: