Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Basic Dance Training Camp 2012

On June 25 - 27, 2012, I went to Basic Dance Training camp with my drill team.  This would be BDT's 10th year for holding camps for drill teams, and I have been with them the whole time!  The theme of the camp was all about "celebrating" since they were celebrating their 10th year.

Well, we left bright and early that morning and things get started right away.  I didn't get any pics of the first day--not sure why, probably just busy and didn't take any!

Anyway, the first night is the team performance night, where teams have the option of performing a home routine.  It isn't judged, you win the trophy by being the team that all of the other teams voted as the "most entertaining" team. 

We were performing our competition hip hop routine.  I felt like the team looked pretty good for their first time performing it.  I just hoped they wouldn't be scared in front of the crowd.  We have about half of the team that is "new". 

We had to rush to get ready and I always hate it when I feel rushed or that we don't have time to go over anything.  The camp staff really wanted to get started on time and they wanted all of the teams to be in the gym watching the other teams, so we just had to hustle in there and hope that everything would go ok.

We were #7 in the line up.  I believe there were about 12 teams performing.  So, I wished we would have been more close to the bottom, but we draw out for the order and that is the number I drew!

There were a couple other hip hop routines before ours, and our sister team, Lone Peak, even had a section of the same music as us!  AUGH!  But, I found myself getting bored when watching their routines, and I wasn't just being partial. 

The Elleves came out and took charge!  I was very proud of them.  I thought they performed the routine very well!  I also felt like the crowd loved it too! 

So, the time came to announce the winner--and who's school do they call?  Yes, MAPLE  MOUNTAIN!  It was so exciting to hear our name!  I was so happy for the girls!  They really needed this as a team!  I know every team probably needs it, but we needed a confidence boost in a big way and this was just the right way to do it!
 Most of the alumni from last year came up to support us!
 Performance Night Champions!  Wahoo!
So proud!
 Nightly team meetings.

 Military training.
 They work them really hard--this is in the morning after breakfast!
 Quick pic of the team on the morning of the last day!
 Shalee & Melissa
 Shalee, Melissa, & Jamie - these three made it into the Top Corp Finals!
 The officers - minus Emily.
 Crazy pose!
 Relaxing before the final events of the camp.

 The team did awesome!  We won an award for the Edge Routine.
 Here's the Top Corp finalists again.
These are the drill down finalists - Laney, Melissa, Madeline, & Lindsey.

The team did great at BDT!  I really feel that things are coming together well for this team.  I'm so excited to see what is in store for them the rest of this year.

No comments: