Sunday, October 31, 2010

Drill Team Stuff

While I was out on maternity leave, life went on at school. I left the drill team in the careful hands of my trusted assistant, Marci. Things went great and the team's performances were awesome! Luckily, I was able to come and see them all.

On Friday, September 24th, the team performed in the Homecoming Assembly. They performed their "edge" routine, "Breaking the Habit". I didn't get any pictures, just video. Someday I will learn how to post videos on my blog! The performance was great--I was proud of them!

Then, later that evening, we had a "friendship party" with the Payson Paysetters. Maple Mountain was playing Payson that night in our Homecoming game, so we invited the Paysetters over for a pre-game party.
MMHS Elleves & PHS Paysetters
It was fun to see them! There are only 3 girls left on the team that I coached. There are a few girls that I know because I know their sisters. Next year there won't be any girls on the team that I have coached--except for the coaches!
My team was performing their 80s dance. They were so excited about this dance! They had learned the combo at Go For It camp this past summer and asked me to finish the dance and then they would perform it for Homecoming. It was to "Jump for my Love" by the Pointer Sisters. It was fun for me to choreograph parts of it.
I had barely finished it when the doctor told me he was going to start me that Saturday. So, the girls and Marci cleaned it up. They also had to deal with some last minute changes due to illness and injury on our team.
Team pep-talk before the performance.
Their costumes were our "a-day" practice outfits, which were bright neon colors and shorts that looked like the 80s. So, we added a t-shirt that we cut holes in and put sequin around and cut the neck out, tied it in a knot on the side, put our hair in side pony tails and wore gold sequin head bands. We also had black leg warmers. We were true to the 80s style! I had actually wore a t-shirt similar to this for one of my dance costumes in the 80s!
Striking an 80s pose--gotta love the jazz hands!
The performance was so fun to watch! They did so well, even with all the changes they had to deal with. It was a crowd favorite as well!
On October 5th, three girls from the team were chosen to represent us at the 4A All-State Drill Team Auditions. The team and coaches selected Savannah Martin, who is our president; Kourtney Finch, who is our drill mistresses; and Krizia Brooks.
Here they are: Savannah, Kourtney, and Krizia.
All three of them were selected to the team! There were about 60 girls there and 22 girls made it to the team. I was very proud of them. They will be recognized at State Drill in February. They will also have an opportunity to perform as an All-State Team.

On October 13th, it was Maple Mountain's last home football game. The drill team performed their military routine. We borrowed costumes again from Lone Peak. They had some old costumes that they didn't mind if we wore outside on the field. We didn't want to wear our military costumes and get them all muddy!
Again, the team did a great job with the performance.
Here they are, striking a "miliary" pose.
Team huddle to get "psyched up" for the performance!

There was another performance, but I didn't get pictures. We performed our hip hop routine. It looked great also.
Now we are getting ready for competition season. It will be here before we know it!

1 comment:

Emilee said...

Lookin' good!