Sunday, March 01, 2009

Busy Week of Basketball Games

This week was the girls state basketball playoffs. Payson girls played their first game against Dixie on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. The games are played at Salt Lake Community College--Redwood Road campus. We drove suburbans instead of a bus, so that was different. I guess that is a benefit of having a small drill team and cheer squad. The drill team performs at halftime of the game. The Paysetters performed their hip hop "Shawty Get Loose". Payson girls ended up winning--so that meant another game on Wednesday against Sky View.

We took a bus to the next game. About 24 students bought tickets and rode the bus up with the cheerleaders and drill team. It was a full bus. Here are the drill team girls before the game started:


The girls basketball team ended up losing, so girls basketball is now over.

Thursday night was the last home boys basketball game. That means "Senior Night". There are 4 seniors on the drill team this year. Here they are standing by the posters that the cheerleaders made and hung up in the gym:




Here they are in their performing costumes. They performed a lyrical dance that was choreographed by their assistant coach, Marci Hite. They were also recognized at halftime with their parents. It is always a special night.

It was also my "last home basketball game" at Payson. I am going to the new school in Mapleton next year, so it was my last game as the drill team coach at Payson. My principal gave me this bouquet of flowers at halftime. It was the first time that a principal had done anything like that for me. I felt very appreciated and also sad that I am leaving.

Then on Saturday, we worked BYU concessions at the BYU/Utah game. I only had to be there for the end of it because I had a drill team coaches meeting that morning. But, the team made pretty good money--it was busy!
BYU concessions calls their hot dogs, "cougar dogs". Anyway, some of the Utah fans would ask if they could get "Ute dogs" instead of a cougar dog. You always get all kinds of fun comments when BYU plays Utah. They ask for beer, and you look at them and say, right--we don't even sell caffeine in our soft drinks! But it always makes for a fun time while working concessions!

I'm looking forward to this week--it will be pretty calm. The drill team is now getting ready for our Florida Tour. We leave on March 19th. Saturday, March 7th is our indoor yard sale. It is always entertaining--you never know who is going to show up!



3 comments:

Amy Roper said...

Ummmmm . . . don't think I would even eat a Ute Dog! I bet the comments you get are hilarious! We were bummed that we couldn't even watch the game. We don't have the right channel. Bummer that the Utes lost, too!

I bet it is weird to be leaving Payson! You have been there many years and have lots of memories! I bet they are going to miss you!

Have fun in Florida!

Emilee said...

Hey Molly--that was nice of your principal to give you flowers. I'll bet it is kind of bitter/sweet leaving Payson High. I can't believe you've been teaching there for 14 years.

JJWright said...

Wow...I didn't know there was a new school in Mapleton. I had two college roommates from Mapleton. That will be closer to home for you and exciting to be the first in a new school. Payson will miss you. Will you be the drill team coach at Mapelton? and teach the same business subjects? Good for you Molly...a change is as good as a rest. Good luck.