Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Another Broken Bench Story

I forgot to mention what happened at the State Competition, just before we were to go on the floor to perform our prop routine. Seriously, the team just before us was out on the floor, their music had just started, when one of the girls on my team exclaims, "My bench is broke!" I walk over to her bench, thinking, no way, this can't be happening. But, it was! The left hinge was coming out of the bottom of the bench! We needed a screw driver. So, I knew I had one in our bag--always keep one--you never know. So, I had to run up two flights of stairs, run down a long stretch behind the top bleachers at UVU, get to our bag, find the screw driver and I thought--grab the duct tape. Men say that duct tape fixes anything. We had some black colored duct tape so I grabbed it and was off.

I thought I was going to pass out before I got back down to the arena floor. It felt as if I were running in slow motion and everyone was in my way! I get down to the bench, we try to put the screws back in and they were striped--so I grabbed the duct tape, wrapped it around the hinge a few times. The music ended of the team that had been performing, I looked at the girl who would be using the bench and told her, "You will be fine--the duct tape will hold and you have the hinge on the other side to keep it together." I wasn't sure if that was the case, but decided that I needed to tell her that so she wouldn't freak out. She actually did a really good job with the bench and they trade benches during the routine and she and the other girl had already worked out what to do and how to hold the bench.

Well, we pulled the routine off--no benches breaking or hinges popping off. I still can't believe that it happened and when it happened! What can I say--never a dull moment in drill team!

No comments: