Sunday, October 06, 2013

Hotel Monaco Weekend

I had an appointment with Dr. Dewey sometime during the month of August.  While there, I got a handout about a contest they were having.  All during the summer, they had been posting questions on their Facebook page and you had to read Dr. Dewey's blog and/or Facebook page to find the answers to the questions.
 
Well, I was a little bit behind, since the questions had started back in June, but I decided that I was going to enter the contest.  I started answering the questions and saved the document.  I worked on the questions every now and then.  But, soon the deadline was here, which was August 30th.  I came home from school and was just looking at things on the computer when I realized that the deadline was that day.  I quickly opened up the document and started working on the questions.  I was still working on the questions when Scott came home from work.  I kept working on them and finally finished them and submitted by entry before the midnight deadline.
 
I thought to myself, I probably just went to all the trouble of finding the answers to all of those questions and it will probably all be for nothing!  I won't win the contest--oh well.
 
A week later, it was after school and we were learning our military routine.  My phone rang, but I didn't answer it because we were having the auditions for the routine.  I then saw that I had a message and that it was from Dr. Dewey's office.  I thought, why are they calling?  Then I thought, maybe I won the prize?  Because I knew they were to announce the winner that week.  I quickly listened to the message and I was right, I had won!  I said out loud that I had won and the team just looked at me like I was strange or something.  I said it again, I won an overnight trip and dinner!  Then, they were excited and so was I!
 
I had won an overnight stay to the Hotel Monaco in Salt Lake City, 2 tickets to the Hale Center Theater, and dinner at Bambera.  Well, when I called to talk to the receptionist at Dr. Dewey's office, she told me the date of the prizes.  It was the same weekend we would be having Kendrick's birthday party--I wasn't sure if that was going to work.  That weekend came, and we were trying to get everything ready and Scott actually didn't feel so great.  I was a little bit stressed about trying to get everything done for the party.  So, we called the hotel and changed the date.  We couldn't change the date for the play tickets.  So we called Hollie and asked if she wanted to pick up the tickets and use them.  She couldn't, but Tanya, Scott's ex-wife, and her daughter, Chessie, used the tickets. 
 
So, we changed the overnight stay to the first weekend in October.  It was also the weekend that "Thomas the Train" was going to be at the Gateway.  I had heard about it on PBS while Kendrick was watching one of his shows on that channel.  We decided to take Kendrick up to see Thomas and then take him to Hollie.  Hollie was going to babysit Kendrick for us.
 
Well, we barely made it to see Thomas.  Seriously, they almost didn't let me and Kendrick in the door.  It went until 1 p.m. and we got to the door at 1 p.m.!  Luckily, the girl at the door let us in and we had to wait in this long line.  They had some little art projects that kids could do.  So, Kendrick made a conductor's hat.  We still were waiting in line for probably about 40 minutes?  It reminded me of waiting in line to see Santa.
 We made it to the balloon arch--this was just before you got to Thomas.  Kendrick wasn't too happy for some reason.  Probably tired of waiting?
 He wouldn't really look and he didn't want a picture.
Well, we finally get up to Thomas, and Kendrick started crying and didn't want to be by Thomas.  What?  We had waited all that time and now he didn't want to see Thomas?
 These pictures were all we got--
I wanted to scream, we had waited all that time for nothing?  Why couldn't he be like the other little kids that climbed up on Thomas and smiled from ear to ear?  Augh!  It was frustrating.  Oh well, we left and got some lunch at Gateway.  We also shopped around for a little bit before we needed to take Kendrick to Hollie.

Then Scott and I headed to Hotel Monaco to get checked in.  It was a nice hotel and our room was great.  That evening they had a social hour in the lobby.  Scott and I headed down.  There was free appetizers from Bambera and drinks.  There was also free 5 minutes massages!  We took advantage of the massages and the appetizers.  They also got out some Diet Coke for us--since we didn't want to drink wine! :)
 Hanging out at the social hour.
 
We then went back up to our room and changed for dinner.  The restaurant was there inside the hotel.  We had a 6:30 reservation.
 Waiting for our dinner.
 I loved the hounds tooth upholstery!
 My salad was so yummy!  It had beets in it and oranges.  The dressing was delicious too!
 Scott had a meat dish--of course!
 I had gnocchi--it was so good too!  I loved the vegetables that were with it! 
 It was very good--and best of all, we didn't have to pay for it!
 Picture that our server took of us.
We had a great time and I would highly recommend staying at this hotel to anyone.  It was definitely fun and relaxing.  I'm so glad that I put the effort in to answer all of those questions!

No comments: